Killers- I thought I’d throw a romantic comedy in here somewhere. While I usually don’t like Ashton Kutcher in anything but Punk’d, this actually looks to have some promise.
Salt- After Angelina Jolie kicked some tail in Wanted, I’m curious to see if she can do it again in this action flick.
The Karate Kid- The only reason this isn’t in my Top 10 is that I’m still not sure what to make of it. I’m still bothered they did a remake, but Jackie Chan is spot on to continue the famous role of Mr. Miyagi.
Shrek Forever After- Would have been in my Top 10 if I had written this pre-mixed early reviews. I still love this franchise though, so I hope it can go out on a good note.
Dinner for Schmucks- Paul Rudd, Steve Carrell, and Zack Galifianakis? Sign me up! However, there’s still a part of me that thinks this could get lost in the summer blockbuster hype.
NOW TO THE TOP 10!
10. Cyrus- Early reviews out of SXSW and Sundance make me excited for this one. I love a good indie-style comedy, and John C. Reilly and Jonah Hill are excellent casting choices for one. Let’s just hope it isn’t TOO indie (I’m looking at you, Lars and the Real Girl!) Cyrus will hit theaters on July 9th.
9. Grown Ups- This cast is comedy gold! Just seeing Sandler, Rock, Schneider (Did anyone else know he was considered Asian-American?), and Spade together make me want to watch old Saturday Night Live clips. My only hesitation is the PG-13 rating, I am praying that the rating doesn’t hold the movie back. Grown Ups will be released on June 25th.
8. The A-Team- Like Fanboy, I hadn’t graced the world with my existence yet when the original TV show was on. However, I have seen reruns and I love them. There’s still a doubt in my mind on if it was the right decision to remake this, but it looks to provide some great action. I’ll be focused to see how will Rampage Jackson, former UFC fighter, will do as the new B.A. of the summer (Yay for wordplay!) The team will be dropping by theaters on June 11th.
7. Despicable Me- Kind of a surprise here, I know, but after seeing the teaser trailer several months back I was sold. Yet another start studded cast which includes Steve Carrell, Kristen Wiig, Miranda Cosgrove, Jason Segel, Ken Jeong, Will Arnett, Julie Andrews, Russell Brand, Danny McBride, and Mindy Kaling (from The Office). I mean, come on! Tour de Force Cast Summer Animated Comedy right here! Prepare to be despicable on July 9th.
6. Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time- You have no idea how much I would love to put this higher up on my list…..but I can’t. When I first heard they were adapting the video game into a movie, I was super pumped since I played these games religiously. When I heard it would be a Disney/Jerry Bruckheimer film, I was quite bummed. The Prince of Persia video games are quite violent at times, but that is what makes them what they are. With Disney at the helm, I’m afraid that aspect will be toned down big time. I hope not. Defy the future when Prince of Persia hits theaters on May 28th.
5. MacGruber- Unless you really dislike funny movies, why wouldn’t you want to see this? This is the first SNL inspired movies in a while, and I’m really hoping the streak of bad movies ends here. This is directed by Jorma Taccone, one-third of The Lonely Island, and stars two of my favorite SNL cast members in Will Forte and Kristen Wiig. With that kind of funny behind it, there’s no way it could be another SNL flop….right? We’ll find out when MacGruber releases on May 21st.
4. The Expendables- Stallone, Statham, Li, Lundgren, Couture, Austin, Crews, Willis, Rourke, and AHNULD! Uh, need I say more? The biggest guy movie to ever come out! I about had to change my shorts when I read the cast of this. Then I really did have to change my shorts after I saw the trailer. There’s no possible way this thing can be bad, I’m saying it now. Get ready to have a guy’s night when The Expendables hits theaters on August 13th (I’m honestly sad that I have to wait that long).
3. Inception- I honestly believe it is impossible for Christopher Nolan to make a bad movie. Coming of the world changing The Dark Knight, Nolan hits us with this psychological thriller starring Leo DiCaprio, Ellen Page, Joseph Gordon-Levitt, and Ken Wantanabe. Nolan still hasn’t released much information on Inception‘s plot just yet, but the teasers show that this is gonna be on heck of a mind bender. Inception drops on July 16th.
2. Iron Man 2-Well I saw this one tonight, so I’m not even gonna try to act like I haven’t. There’s not many times where sequels can even compare to the first, but this one came pretty dang close. Robert Downey Jr. has the most amazing swagger as an actor. He can carry any type of role, and carry it well. I won’t go too far into it (I’ll save that for Screen Team’s review!), but GO SEE THIS MOVIE! Iron Man 2 hits theaters, uh, yesterday….
1. Toy Story 3- Whaaaaa?! You mean TanMan wants to see this more than Iron Man 2?! Is that even legal?! Yes it is, except in Vermont. It’s illegal there. Those that know me, know that I’m just a big kid. I grew up on Toy Story, cherished it as a kid. I’ve been waiting for this third installment for what seems like forever now, and I can’t believe it’s finally here! I will be turning 19 the day after this comes out, and I will proudly say that I will be in line for the midnight showing. I wish I could insert a picture of my face right now just thinking about this movie. Maybe that would show you how ready I am for this. TanMan becomes a 5 year old again when Toy Story 3 hits theaters June 18th!